Waiting to Adopt Yi Mei

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, November 25, 2011

Shopping with Mom/Putting Up Christmas

My mom and I did our traditional Christmas shopping today.  Mom prefers that my brother and I pick out somthing we really need rather than be surprised.  I like it that way too.  My mom bought me a lovely white down jacket, something very important for someone who walks their lab rain or shine.  I also picked out a new sweater which will go under the tree in Chicago.  I have been so busy getting set for Yi Mei and saving money, I can't remember the last time I went shopping for myself.  I think I am experiencing parenthood already.

On the way home we stopped at the Chinese grocery store.  My mom and I have always been fascinated by everything Asian.  I can attribute our love for the Asian culture to my former roommate, Huong.  Huong is a Vietnamese refugee of Chinese descent.  When we lived in Chicago, we used to do our shopping in a Vietnamese neighborhood and often ate in authentic Vietnamese, Chinese and Korean restaurants.  Houng's parents made us homemade egg rolls, Peking duck and these delightful pancakes that melted in my our mouths.  My mom, always up for a culinary adventure shared many of these dining experiences with us.  I had a pretty good thing going during those years- I paid extra rent and Huong did all the cooking. Now I have to expand my knowledge of Chinese cooking myself.  It has been said that the adopted kids always have a preference for rice.  I am glad Huong gave me a deluxe rice cooker for a shower gift this past summer.

I still take delight in meandering the jam packed aisles of the Chinese grocery store filled with cases of whiskered fish and foreign labels of all kinds.  Mom bought Yi Mei a pair of child size chopsticks, a place mat and some plastic Chinese dishes.  I think it will comfort her to have something familiar when she arrives. 

Once we got home, I set up the Christmas tree.  I typically do this while my family is in town.  It makes me feel like we are doing it together, even though I do the decorating while everybody else sits around the TV.
I can hardly wait to start my own traditions with Yi Mei next year.  She will bake Christmas cookies with my friend Debby,  have a traditional German advent calendar, put her shoes out on the German St. Nicholas Day and see the windows downtown Chicago.  Mostly, I look forward to sharing the true meaning of Christmas- the most precious gift God has ever given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment