Waiting to Adopt Yi Mei

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, July 20, 2012

An Extra Day in Hong Kong

I will be in China one more day.
The flight from Guangzhou was delayed and we missed our international flight in Hong Kong. Instead of arriving at 7:30 on Friday, I will now arrive on Sunday at 12:30 am.  So much for the expensive tickets we bought to avoid spending the night in Hong Kong- it happened anyway. Looking on the brighter side, the airlines put us up at a very nice hotel. Yi Mei has gotten very used to the hotel life. For her, it was just another day of swimming and eating at the buffet.

Yi Mei fell asleep on her own for the first time. Since we didn't get to this hotel until 3:00, she didn't get her nap. She also wore herself out from crying today. Though the flight was only 1 hour, it was a very difficult trip. Yi Mei started crying in the taxi ride over to the airport and progressed to a raging fit on the airport floor. I couldn't even carry her, as she was fighting so hard. I had to wait 15 minutes before we could move. People kept offering her candy, but even candy won't pacify her when she has reached her melting point. The airport employees took pity on us and led us to the front of the security line and also the front of the immigration line. It's not every day that you see an American woman carrying a screaming Chinese four year old around (yes- I had to carry her the entire day because she was terrified). I wish I could say that she was better on the plane, but she had three fits where she screamed at the top of her lungs again. One fit was over being restrained and the other two were over not being able to use the washroom while we were taking off and landing. There was a wonderful Chinese woman who was able to comfort YiMei. I could barely hold Yi Mei down, as she was kicking me so hard and all this woman had to do was take her in her lap. YiMei even fell asleep in her arms at one point. I couldn't believe it! Yi Mei has not let anyone else hold her since Gotcha Day, even Kathy. I was so grateful that she settled down, but my heart hurt at the same time. This woman could have taken Yi Mei and I wonder if she would have ever called for me? I thought we were further along in our bonding, but this event shows how much she still misses her Chinese nannies. Yi Mei must have seen me weeping because she patted my face and said "Boo cue, momma", later on today (Chinese for "Don't cry mommy"). She can be so exasperating one moment and totally sweet another moment.

There is another adoption family who also missed the Chicago flight. They have a 3 1/2 year old who acts out in a similar fashion. It is nice to know that I am not alone. Her mother and I are both bracing ourselves for the 13 hour flight tomorrow.  Instead of landing in Chicago, we are now going through San Francisco and have a ten hour lay over before we board a 3 1/2 hour flight for Kansas City.  We will arrive at 12:30 am in the morning.    YiMei already went through the treats I purchased to bribe her on the flight and I don't have any Hong Kong money or time to buy more.  I just pray she sleeps on the long flight.

5 comments:

  1. Call on your angels...I think they are already trying to intervene! Desperate times call for desperate measures...don't feel guilty about letting people step in! You have already begun the bonding process, and bonding is ongoing. You two have already bonded more than you know! Deep breaths my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With God, all things are possible. Praying for God to provide more treats for the flight home - either by providing HK money or by someone giving you the treats you will need!! Also, you described ALL kids perfectly - exasperating one minute, and sweet the next - so don't feel bad about Yi Mei, she sounds quite normal! Glad you got to enjoy another day in China - just part of the whole experience.

    See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose! We met you at the Holt picnic in June- we loved hearing about how your exciting trip to meet Yi Mei and bring her home was right around the corner! We are thrilled to be starting our own process more fully very soon... But through a families blessed connection, we found your blog and have been following! What a precious journey, with 2 of God's very brave daughters--we pray that both you and Yi Mei have a more-peaceful-than-expected unexpected extension of your trip, and flight home too. -nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for YiMei to feel His peace in her heart the whole way home. So glad there is another family going to be on the plane with you. Don't worry about the bonding- I am not sure that much bonding can occur in China with them so anxious and scared- and less than two months ago I was in China with a child who hated the sight of me and screamed and spat whenever I was near her- and tonight she cuddled up in my arms before bed, stroked my face and said "Mama" over and over again. So where you are now with that has no bearing on where you will be in a few short weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, Welcome home! My thoughts and prayers are with you and YiMei as you start your life together. Your pictures are beautiful and your sweet nature is so evident as you share your days with others. Both of you are blessed to have one another. Margaret :)

    ReplyDelete