Waiting to Adopt Yi Mei

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oath Taking Ceremony

Today Yi Mei and I went to the US Embassy to take an oath and pick up her citizenship papers. Kathy left early this morning so we were on our own. The traffic is so bad that it takes at least a half hour to get anywhere. Yi Mei did well in the taxi and I was relieved to find a bathroom in our assigned room. I knew if there was a bathroom, Yi Mei would do well. She is very quiet in new situations, preferring to sit in my lap rather than interact with the other kids. Overall,it was pretty uneventful morning.

I took Yi Mei swimming this afternoon. She is a fish in the water! Unlike her mom, she had no fear of jumping in the deep end. I have to watch her all the time because she thinks she can swim. The life jacket I bought her is so big that she floats right out of it. Yi Mei already has already jumped in before I was ready to catch her. She went all the way under and it didn't scare her one bit. I wish that I could video tape her in the water. She has learned to imitate other children, kicking her feet and moving her arms forward. She even turns over on her back and does the backstroke, while I keep her afloat. Considering she has never been in a pool, her ability amazes me!

Yi Mei had a fit when she had to go down for her nap, but it was the first one of the day. I have decided that I need to start being firm with her. We are now connected enough that I can scold her. Last night, we celebrated Kathy's last evening by taking a cruise on the Pearl River. It was a scenic tour, with breathtaking views of downtown Guangzou. I think all the excitement was too much for my little one, as she began to climb chairs and knock things over. She left me no choice but to scold her. It broke my heart to do it, but I know she needs boundaries. I think last night has made an impression on her, as we have had a fairly quiet day today.

The colorful lights on the Pearl River

Yi Mei eating her snacks in Shamian Island


1 comment:

  1. I can imagine you would be eager to get home by now. I'll bet there's a dog who will be very happy to see her master as well! Glad to hear that your documents aren't causing a delay.

    ReplyDelete